4/19/2010

Final Drawings for the Semester!

Picture of the Day] 1/2" = 1'-0" Section Wall and Elevation drawing.

Mood] Tired tired TIRED.


Weather] Sunny


Currently] In my room.

Quote of the day: "I'm not judging people, I'm judging their actions. It's the same type of distinction that I try to apply to myself, to judge, but not be judgmental."

So my final board is too big to place on here, but I can put up my favourite drawing from it! I don't have enough drawings on the board, but I do have almost the minimum requirements. I think I'm only missing two renderings. The tough thing about completing drawings is that they all have to be at such a high level of detail, that you underestimate the amount of time it'll take to spend on one drawing. The renderings, for example, I did by hand in some respects. The method I used is that of drawing a perspective by hand and then scanning it into the computer. Then you use photoshop and illustrator to plop in all the textures and people. You could take a photo of a model and then do the same thing, work on top of that photo to add people and textures.

The elevations and sections are all about how people fit in the space. You get a sense of how tall something is or how wide it is by putting people and even possibly furniture into the mix. There are different ways of doing elevations and sections as well. Something that I have found to be quite successful is using the gray tones to represent the solid that you are cutting through. A lot of people use pure black, which is fine as well, but if you do that, then you need something else on the board to counter that weight, because it does tend to pop a lot. My professor also recommended that we use shadows to really make the drawings look more realistic.

Colours and diagrams are very useful, but do not have such a heavy role. Don't put colour in just for the sake of there being colour! Green is always intuitively related to something earthy. The layout of the whole system needs to be interesting to look at, which is something that is hard for me to do because I think about it more logically. I wanted to just lay all the drawings out nice and readable, but nope. I don't think it's nearly as interesting as it should be, but oh well. I think my favourite drawing on the whole board is the full wall section and elevation drawing. I added textures and shadows to make it more alive. I also like the shadow people.

The most disappointing thing was when I went to print and all the colours on the plotter came out to be different. All my beautiful grays for the concrete and the textures turned into teal and blue-green. It was still fine though. I printed and I presented, and that was the most important part!

Hope you enjoyed it!
Jaye

No comments:

Post a Comment