
Pictures of the Day] The City Hall Green Roof and Me!
Mood] Gross
Weather] Nasty. All I have to say.
Currently] At the front desk
Quote of the day: "Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects."
This field trip was to City Hall Green Roof, which hopefully is NOT a once in a lifetime experience, but very well may be. There are guided tours offered, but I am not sure if you have to register or pay for those. The opportunity to see it was great! The green roof was absolutely fantastic! It was soooo hot and gross, but it was awesome to actually walk across the circular stone tiles on the sloping lawns and look at all the different plants. My professor named them as we looked, showing us the leaves and the flowers to emphasize how we could distinguish them. The man who gave us our tour, Michael, works in the Environmental department at City Hall. He helps with the planning of sustainability and different ways the city handles the Environmental issues, like drainage, insulation on buildings, etc...Quite neat!
Our tour was very short. We just traipsed around the top of the roof, but it was nice. Michael showed us the bees that they actually keep on the top of the roof in a bare patch toward the center of the roof. These bees produce a lot of honey (I forget how many pounds of it Michael detailed, but it was a large amount!) that the City of Chicago actually sells and gives away as gifts. I think all the proceeds go to charity and non-profit organizations! Cool, huh?
I wondered if the honey from those bees differ in any way, but I didn't mention it at the time. I was engrossed with the different sedum and flowering varieties. It was quite lovely even though it was burning! I was glad when we got off even though it was a great time.
Sweating up a storm,
~Jaye
No comments:
Post a Comment